Seed Points: 51.60

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 1,628
Thanked Posts: 4

Send a message via AIM to Brett
Uploading Guide - 02.19.06, 11:16 PM

UPLOADING GUIDE

Basic guide for uploading (seeding) a show here at JTT, so that you can get started right away! The instructions seem long, but they're not, just follow them step by step.

FYI, always note that our site's announce URL for the tracker is http://www.jamtothis.com:2710/announce.

Step 1. Find a show that you want to upload to the site. If it's an audio show, it should be in FLAC format, which is a lossless file type. You may not upload MP3's to the site, or any other "lossy" formats. Video files should be high quality lossless DVD's, not compressed formats like MPEG's, WMV's, etc. There is to be no copyrighted material. This much should be implied. If you can buy it from a major retail name like Amazon.com, or in a local store, you can't post it. Copyrighted material will be pulled from the site.

Step 2. Create a folder on your computer called JTT, or anything else you'd like to call it. Inside that folder, create another one for the show you will be uploading, for example, "Van Halen DVD Archive 1985." Inside this second folder is where you will place all the files you will be creating a torrent for.

(This is just a folder where you will store your uploads, so of course you can use any folder on your computer you want. You may already have a folder on your computer you use for your music.)

Step 3. If you are uploading audio files, make sure as we said earlier, they are in FLAC format. If you need to convert your WAV files to FLAC's, you should download FLAC Frontend, which will allow you to encode your files to .flac format. After all your files are in the correct format, drag all of them to your newly created folder from Step 2. If you are going upload a DVD to the site, make sure you drag the entire VIDEO_TS folder and its contents into your new folder from Step 2.

Step 4. All files uploaded to the site MUST be accompanied by a checksum file. A checksum verifies and checks integrity of the files when someone downloads them. In order to create a checksum file, if you don't already have it, download MD5Summer. This is the utility used to create checksum files. Setup and install the application.

(There are other programs that can generate checksums, like FLAC Frontend, which can create fingerprints for .flac files. MD5Summer is just a very easy program to operate, but feel free to use whatever is comfortable to you.)

Step 5. Now open up MD5Summer, and a dialog box will pop up with a file directory. Browse to the folder with all of your files (the one created in Step 2), and highlight. Now click the "Create sums" button.

Step 6. Click the "Select All" button to choose all of your files, then click "Add" to move them over to the right side of the dialog box. If everything looks right, then click "OK" and the program will be begin to verify the files. Please be patient as it can take a few minutes for the process to complete.

Step 7. After the program finishes verifying the files, a dialog box will pop up and ask you to save the file. If the box doesn't pop up, click the "Save" button at the bottom of the screen. Save the file directly into your folder, with a name like "vh1985-1991archive.dvd.md5." Make sure that you include the .md5 extension. You will be uploading this file when you create your torrent later on, so make sure it's in the folder with the rest of your audio/video files.

Step 8. Next open your favorite text editor (like Notepad), navigate to the MD5 file you saved in Step 7, and open it up. You should see something like the screenshot below. That is the checksum information, and you will want to take note of that because you need to paste that information into the upload form when you create your torrent here later.

All of your files are ready for upload! Now it's time to create the torrent file you will be uploading to the site.

Step 9. If you don't have it already, download uTorrent. It's a very easy program to create a torrent with, as well as being an excellent bit torrent client to use as well. This is the program you will use to create your torrent file. Setup and install the application. It's VERY important that whatever program you choose to use to create the torrent, that it allows you to set the torrent "private" or it won't work on the site. For example. MakeTorrent2 WILL NOT do this, so don't use it.

Step 10. Now open up uTorrent and go to the top and click on "File --> New Torrent" (may say "Create New Torrent"). It will then open up a dialog box like the one below. This is a Mac dialog box, a Windows one may look a bit different.

Step 11. Make sure you click the "Add directory" button at the top and then select the directory where are the shows files are.

Tracker --> http://www.jamtothis.com:2710/announce (Make sure you put this in.)
Private torrent --> Make sure this box is checked. This is VERY IMPORTANT or your file won't work correctly here.

** No other boxes should be checked! **

Step 12. Now simply click the "Create and save as..." button and save the torrent file to wherever you want on your computer. We recommend placing it on your desktop. Make sure you do not save the .torrent file in the same directory where all the files for this torrent are located.

That's it, your torrent file will generate, and you're ready to upload your new show to the site!

You're almost there! All that's left is to create the thread on the forum, and upload your torrent file.

Step 13. Click the link in the at the top of the site that says "Upload Torrent." You will then select either "Upload Audio Torrent" or "Upload Video Torrent" depending of course on which one you will be uploading.

Please note that clicking the "New Thread" button in either the "Audio" or "Video" torrent download forums will also take you to the appropriate upload form.

Step 14. You will then be taken to an upload form that will need to be filled out completely. There are several fields that you will fill in that include, artist name, venue, date, source of show (soundboard, audience, FM show, etc.) checksums (which you get from Step 8), lineage, and in the case of video files, the videos specs. There's also box at the bottom of the upload where you can add in your own comments about the show, share other important info about it, etc.

LASTLY AND VERY IMPORTANT!! At the bottom of the form is the "Manage Attatchments" button. Make sure you attach your .torrent file to your upload by clicking that button and selecting the file from your computer or your torrent won't work. You can also attach screen shots from this link as well, in the case of a video upload.

If the form isn't filled out with all the necessary information, a moderator will ask you to edit your new thread and add them in. We usually allow two days for an upload to be fixed, otherwise we may pull it. So keep that in mind if indeed you are asked to make a few corrections.

Step 15. Once your topic is created, return to the thread and click on the attachment link for the .torrent. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you use the .torrent file attached in the post when you seed, and not the one sitting on your desktop. If you don't use the .torrent from the created topic, you will not correctly connect to the tracker and get errors.

If Bit Tornado (or whatever torrent program you use) doesn't automatically open up when you click the .torrent file, then select it when the dialog box prompts you to. You will then be asked to browse for the download folder. You will then navigate to the folder where that particular show's files are. In our example, we would navigate to the "Van Halen 1985-1991 DVD Archive" and click "OK."

Step 16. Bit Tornado will now verify 100% of the data, then your tray icon will turn bright white, and the program will just sit there. We recommend changing the setting to "Super-Seed." If you venture back into your created thread, the "seeder" number should change to 1. You are now properly seeding, now just wait for leechers! The light icon in the upper right of BT will turn green as your leechers get further and further along. However, until you get a leecher, the light will remain red, so don't panic. There is also a period of time the light stays blue, so don't worry about that either, it's completely normal. Once a leecher has received all the torrent's information, they will then become seeds too. As you seed the torrent, your sharing ratio on the forum will change every few minutes as the tracker updates its information, you should not need to close out of your bit torrent program to update.

Done!

You now have done your first upload at JTT! It wasn't that hard was it? It just takes a few times of doing it, and it will be old hat.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask in this thread, or post a new thread in the 'Technology And The Struggle' forum.

Thanks for your contribution to JamToThis!

JTT Links: Download Guide | Upload Guide | Sharing Ratio | Banned Bit Torrent Clients
JTT Announce URL:
http://www.jamtothis.com:2710/announce

Are your ports forwarded properly?
Visit Port Forward to make sure you are set up correctly with your router.

Why is it bad to be firewalled?
Visit HERE to find out!

**Don't Forget To Rate Your Seeders!**
  (#2) Old
Human Mic Stand

User ID: 655

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 149

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 292.59 GB
DL: 184.82 GB
Ratio: 1.58
Seed Points: 438.00

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 37
Thanked Posts: 8

02.21.06, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett
Step 14. Once your topic is created, navigate back into it if you're not already there. Right click the .torrent attachment file and save it to your Desktop. You should replace the version that's on your Desktop with the one you download from the web site.
I have never done this, what is the reasoning and/or benefits of doing it this way?
Great job on the guide BTW

"Fuck the Whales...Save the Pussies"

Last edited by Steecoe; 02.21.06 at 04:06 AM.
  (#3) Old
Head Cheese

User ID: 14

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 192

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 488.44 GB
DL: 135.27 GB
Ratio: 3.61

Sharing Ratio
Policy

02.21.06, 08:32 AM

You know for me, it's just another step to be better safe than sorry, that's all. To know that you are for sure using the right file with the right announce URL's, etc.

JTT Links: Download Guide | Upload Guide | Sharing Ratio | Banned Bit Torrent Clients
JTT Announce URL:

Visit HERE to find out!

(#4) Old
Trader

User ID: 7344

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 0

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 1.01 TB
DL: 548.54 GB
Ratio: 1.89
Seed Points: 29.00

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 0
Thanked Posts: 91

02.23.06, 03:52 AM

Hey man!

I need some help!

When i try to creat checksums all get as results is this:
VIDEO_TS.BUP OK
VIDEO_TS.IFO OK
VIDEO_TS.VOB OK
VTS_01_0.BUP OK
VTS_01_0.IFO OK
VTS_01_1.VOB OK
VTS_01_2.VOB OK
VTS_01_3.VOB OK
VTS_01_4.VOB OK

Should not the checksums look like this?
b0aa7dbc041694807fb87e7768a83729 *VIDEO_TS.BUP
b0aa7dbc041694807fb87e7768a83729 *VIDEO_TS.IFO
ed8b857e6f44a525acb4054d5814ecdb *VIDEO_TS.VOB
75f57fd1d14c91f87d634b10883b353c *VTS_01_0.BUP
75f57fd1d14c91f87d634b10883b353c *VTS_01_0.IFO
0622371cd0d4f5c6723815168bb8f8ed *VTS_01_1.VOB
0e7065a12525ba8a0916d51f4e2522fd *VTS_01_2.VOB
ca41e642168f2f8b98ccb9205e946625 *VTS_01_3.VOB
fe3769b61d15102e362204a4986b7320 *VTS_01_4.VOB
62bd892b6fd6a295f047fc13838dfe5c *VTS_01_5.VOB

Thanks
Tordmullet
  (#5) Old
.:Moderator:.

User ID: 88

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 169

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 763.56 GB
DL: 384.23 GB
Ratio: 1.99
Seed Points: 2,159.20

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 651
Thanked Posts: 26

02.23.06, 03:58 AM

You need to open up the saved .md5 file in notepad (or similar text editor) and copy the data from there. See steps 7 & 8 above.
  (#6) Old
Trader

User ID: 8171

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 13

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 531.94 GB
DL: 718.09 GB
Ratio: 0.74
Seed Points: 6.20

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 324
Thanked Posts: 2

04.30.06, 02:56 PM

can i post an .AVI file??
  (#7) Old
Trader

User ID: 7746

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 4

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 360.75 GB
DL: 270.28 GB
Ratio: 1.33
Seed Points: 0.00

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 19
Thanked Posts: 17

Increasing Upload Speed? - 05.07.07, 07:45 AM

Is there a way to increase your upload speed? I have Comcast cable and I never seem to get higher than 45 kb/sec. I use BitTorrent. Is there a better program that would allow me to change settings some how and increase it?

Thanks
Chris

Last edited by nast2112; 05.07.07 at 07:45 AM.
  (#8) Old
Head Cheese

Rate This Member

Click Here To Rate!

Sharing Ratio
Policy

05.07.07, 08:23 AM

uTorrent allows you to, so does Azureus. Comcast could be capping your upload speed somehow too, and if you're sharing your cable line with other users, it also could be affecting it. There's only so much available bandwidth. But check and see.

JTT Announce URL:

Visit HERE to find out!

(#9) Old
Trader

User ID: 7746

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 4

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 360.75 GB
DL: 270.28 GB
Ratio: 1.33

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 19
Thanked Posts: 17

05.07.07, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
uTorrent allows you to, so does Azureus. Comcast could be capping your upload speed somehow too, and if you're sharing your cable line with other users, it also could be affecting it. There's only so much available bandwidth. But check and see.
Thanks. I will give one of them a try. Maybe someone else that has Comcast can chime in whether they have the same issue/capped upload speed.

Chris
  (#10) Old

Rate This Member

Click Here To Rate!

Sharing Ratio
Policy

05.07.07, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast2112 View Post
I have Comcast cable and I never seem to get higher than 45 kb/sec.
That is the typical upload cap for Cable-based ISPs in the USA. I've got RoadRunner and it's the same. I usually restrict my upload speed to 40K, just so I have some bandwidth left for doing other things (like work).
  (#11) Old
Trader

User ID: 4003

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 1

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 164.30 GB
DL: 118.27 GB
Ratio: 1.39
Seed Points: 101.60

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 0
Thanked Posts: 8

05.07.07, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast2112 View Post
Thanks. I will give one of them a try. Maybe someone else that has Comcast can chime in whether they have the same issue/capped upload speed.

Chris
I haven't looked into using other clients to see if I can boost my UL speed, but for me that hasn't been much of an issue since I seed overnight.

Comcast caps me @ 40-45 kb/sec--on rare occasions I'll get 50.

A bigger concern for me is if I ever got some kind of letter limiting bandwidth usage or grabbing stuff like HBO shows--good thing I don't have HBO
  (#12) Old
Head Cheese

Rate This Member

Click Here To Rate!

Sharing Ratio
Policy

05.07.07, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
That is the typical upload cap for Cable-based ISPs in the USA. I've got RoadRunner and it's the same. I usually restrict my upload speed to 40K, just so I have some bandwidth left for doing other things (like work).
Ditto...I usually cap it at 35 actually.

JTT Announce URL:

Visit HERE to find out!

(#13) Old
Trader

User ID: 6364

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 6

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 203.00 GB
DL: 167.88 GB
Ratio: 1.21
Seed Points: 55.80

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 35
Thanked Posts: 40

06.10.07, 05:01 PM

on my utorrent i have

(0)1 seeders and 2 (2) peers....my question is on my torrent that i am seeding....it shows no seeds or peers although the to leachers are downloading ???? what happened ????

thanks

Rate Your Seeder Please
  (#14) Old
Banned

User ID: 16275

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 82

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 9.03 TB
DL: 1.07 TB
Ratio: 8.46

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 1,073
Thanked Posts: 0

06.10.07, 05:31 PM

Are you talking about the page here? That is not showing any seeders or peers but you are Uploading. Ask Brett or Dokkendude and see if they can fix the page.

Last edited by sleezebeez; 06.10.07 at 05:32 PM.
  (#15) Old

Rate This Member

Click Here To Rate!

Sharing Ratio
Policy

06.10.07, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMS59 View Post
what happened ????
thanks
Your torrent didn't get properly registered on the tracker. A common problem. Brett will have to advise.
  (#16) Old
Trader

User ID: 6364

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 6

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 203.00 GB
DL: 167.88 GB
Ratio: 1.21
Seed Points: 55.80

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 35
Thanked Posts: 40

06.10.07, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
Your torrent didn't get properly registered on the tracker. A common problem. Brett will have to advise.
thanks Ron....I sent him a message....

-Lance

Rate Your Seeder Please
  (#17) Old
Trader

User ID: 16109

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 1

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 8.28 GB
DL: 20.93 GB
Ratio: 0.40

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 8
Thanked Posts: 1

Help - 06.17.07, 08:15 AM

So I jus uploaded a Twisted Sister torrent, and I am trying to download it so I can seed it and it won't let me, saying I dont have sufficent privledges, help! Jut trying to get mt ratio up! When I try to put the torrent I created in my bittorrent program, it's gives me this error:

Critical: Aborting the torrent as it was rejected by the tracker while not connected to any peers. Message from the tracker: unregistered torrent pass

I put the correct accouncement tracker also, so I don't know what might be the problem. I have a MAC so I used BitTorrent to chreat the torrent for the show.

Last edited by damageinc78; 06.17.07 at 08:29 AM.
  (#18) Old

Rate This Member

Click Here To Rate!

Sharing Ratio
Policy

06.17.07, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damageinc78 View Post
So I jus uploaded a Twisted Sister torrent, and I am trying to download it so I can seed it and it won't let me, saying I dont have sufficent privledges, help! Jut trying to get mt ratio up! When I try to put the torrent I created in my bittorrent program, it's gives me this error:
The problem is that you let your share ratio get too low before trying to upload this torrent.
http://www.jamtothis.com/news.php?su...&id=1179461982
There are two ways of proceeding. You can donate to the site to increase your ratio, or you can ask Brett for a short extension in order to get your ratio back up above the acceptable point.
  (#19) Old
Head Cheese

Rate This Member

Click Here To Rate!

Sharing Ratio
Policy

06.17.07, 09:19 AM

I gave him a short extension and the torrent is uploaded now and running.

I have to work on a better way to handle this stuff when someone tries to make a new torrent and can't download the attachment because they're under the ratio.

JTT Announce URL:

Visit HERE to find out!

(#20) Old
Bootlegdvdz Productions

User ID: 13479

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 44

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 96.31 GB
DL: 98.01 GB
Ratio: 0.98
Seed Points: 14.40

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 1,904
Thanked Posts: 36

06.18.07, 10:24 AM

I just post a new torrent, I just hope I did it right this time. I followed the directions as closely as I possible could.

I got confused at steps #15 and 16, I don't have bit tornado so I don't understand the verifying, superspeed and all the different colors.

I just hope I did this right.

Tags
guide, uploading