DL: 129.16 GB
Ratio: 0.96
Seed Points: 470.00

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 60
Thanked Posts: 62

1 seed / 50 leechers - 07.28.05, 07:21 AM

When onfire posted the vegas 84 video everybody of course jumped on immediately. When this happens, the seed is divided amongst all leechers, correct? Is there a way for one or two leechers to finish downloading and provide more strength to the seed before everybody else climbs on-board?
  (#2) Old
Human Mic Stand

User ID: 655

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 149

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 292.59 GB
DL: 184.82 GB
Ratio: 1.58
Seed Points: 438.00

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 37
Thanked Posts: 8

07.28.05, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relliot
When onfire posted the vegas 84 video everybody of course jumped on immediately. When this happens, the seed is divided amongst all leechers, correct? Is there a way for one or two leechers to finish downloading and provide more strength to the seed before everybody else climbs on-board?
Leechers are helping to "strengthen the seed" by uploading while they are downloading. Leechers share with each other too, say there is one seed & 10 leeches. The seeder might actually only be connected to 5 leeches, but those 5 leeches are passing the already downloaded file fragments to other leeches. The seed can disapear & the leeches will still continue to leech off of each other until all leeches have all of what was provided by the seed. I have seeded a few shows where I have uploaded more than the entire torrent, however no one particular leech has totally finished.
  (#3) Old
.:Moderator:.

User ID: 88

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 169

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 754.16 GB
DL: 376.24 GB
Ratio: 2.00
Seed Points: 2,007.60

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 643
Thanked Posts: 25

07.28.05, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steecoe
Leechers are helping to "strengthen the seed" by uploading while they are downloading. Leechers share with each other too, say there is one seed & 10 leeches. The seeder might actually only be connected to 5 leeches, but those 5 leeches are passing the already downloaded file fragments to other leeches.
...as long as all the leechers have properly forwarded ports and are sharing. Many "snatch and run" leechers don't share, thus resulting in a less than optimal experience for all involved.
  (#4) Old
Human Mic Stand

User ID: 655

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 149

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 292.59 GB
DL: 184.82 GB
Ratio: 1.58
Seed Points: 438.00

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 37
Thanked Posts: 8

07.28.05, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron
...as long as all the leechers have properly forwarded ports and are sharing. Many "snatch and run" leechers don't share, thus resulting in a less than optimal experience for all involved.
sad but true
  (#5) Old
Trader

User ID: 1739

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 2

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 123.91 GB

Sharing Ratio
Policy

07.28.05, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steecoe
Leechers are helping to "strengthen the seed" by uploading while they are downloading. Leechers share with each other too, say there is one seed & 10 leeches. The seeder might actually only be connected to 5 leeches, but those 5 leeches are passing the already downloaded file fragments to other leeches. The seed can disapear & the leeches will still continue to leech off of each other until all leeches have all of what was provided by the seed. I have seeded a few shows where I have uploaded more than the entire torrent, however no one particular leech has totally finished.
Thanks for the quick reply. Let's say the seeder is connected to 5 leeches and has an upload rate of 50kbs and the 5 leeches are downloading at an equal rate. Aren't the leeches only able to upload to other leeches that they are connected to? They cannot help each other right? The 1 seeder must stay on 5 times longer to complete his upload? This kind of time commitment must be discouraging to potential video uploaders, right?
  (#6) Old
.:Moderator:.

User ID: 88

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 169

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 754.16 GB
DL: 376.24 GB
Ratio: 2.00
Seed Points: 2,007.60

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 643
Thanked Posts: 25

07.28.05, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relliot
Thanks for the quick reply. Let's say the seeder is connected to 5 leeches and has an upload rate of 50kbs and the 5 leeches are downloading at an equal rate. Aren't the leeches only able to upload to other leeches that they are connected to? They cannot help each other right? The 1 seeder must stay on 5 times longer to complete his upload? This kind of time commitment must be discouraging to potential video uploaders, right?
No, the seeder is sending different parts of the show to each leecher. Each leecher in turn is then sharing those different parts with each other.
  (#7) Old
Trader

Rate This Member

Click Here To Rate!

Sharing Ratio
Policy

07.28.05, 08:59 AM

I got it now. Thanks
  (#8) Old
No VH w/o DLR

User ID: 66

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 111

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 174.21 GB
DL: 76.28 GB
Ratio: 2.28
Seed Points: 30.80

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 106
Thanked Posts: 0

07.28.05, 12:01 PM

As an aside, a useful tactic for seeding a DVD is to give it to a handful of people on condition that they all agree to help seed it online. That way you can start out with 5 seeders from the get-go and the time spent seeding and leeching is reduced for everyone.
  (#9) Old
Trader God

User ID: 498

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 139

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 406.63 GB
DL: 202.33 GB
Ratio: 2.01
Seed Points: 59.40

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 184
Thanked Posts: 7

Send a message via AIM to Onfire
07.28.05, 02:01 PM

Hey Lou..... From My Own Experience I Have Found That No Matter How Many Leeches I Have & Super Seed Mode Or Not It Takes 2 1/2 To 3 Days To Upload A DVD To Finally See New Seeds. It Does Not Bother Me Because I Wait Till I Have Nothing Better Going On Before I Upload It! I Like To Devote All My Bandwith To The Upload! So Basically I Take 3 Days Off From Downloading! Its Like Going On Vacation For Me. I Just Hate It When I Start To See The Seeds & They All Run! Here Shortly I Will Have 70 DL Complete & 5 Seeds! Just Wait & See! That Pisses Me Off Because There Are Not Enough Trader Ratings Coming My Way & Not Enough Thank You's & Comments Posted! Another Thing That Pisses Me Off Is If For Some Reason My PC Crashes While I Am Torrenting A Popular Or Highly Requested Show With 50 Leeches I Get Some Guy Posting A Comment Where's The Seed @ & Its His First Post Ever. THANKS..... Thats The Kind Of Guy That Runs Away After Completing His Download. There Are A Lot Of Good People Here @ JTT I & Know Who They Are & I Wish Ther Were A Lot More Like Them!

Thanks,
Onfire
  (#10) Old
Trader

Rate This Member

Click Here To Rate!

Sharing Ratio
Policy

07.28.05, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
As an aside, a useful tactic for seeding a DVD is to give it to a handful of people on condition that they all agree to help seed it online. That way you can start out with 5 seeders from the get-go and the time spent seeding and leeching is reduced for everyone.
I agree with that. I average uploading at 40kB/s. Wouldn't you want top speed seeders in the beginning? Is mine a good rate? Do you think everybody would be willing to wait a day or two (for special DVDs that most everybody here is going to want) to start the download if the speeds were going to be better. I would.
  (#11) Old
Taping Moderator

User ID: 625

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 49

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 49.99 GB
DL: 6.04 GB
Ratio: 8.28
Seed Points: 0.00

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 395

07.28.05, 02:38 PM

This is why we have share ratio enforcements. You should now start to see it's effects. Probabtion period is over.
  (#12) Old
Trader

User ID: 203

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 18

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 204.05 GB
DL: 259.84 GB
Ratio: 0.79
Seed Points: 7.00

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 137
Thanked Posts: 15

07.28.05, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron
I've tried to configure my ports before with some difficultly. Can anyone post a tutorial/link and also specify which ports should be modified?

Big Bad Bill Is Sweet William Now!

http://billspatches.20m.com/vh/myvhboots.htm
  (#13) Old
Taping Moderator

User ID: 625

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 49

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 49.99 GB
DL: 6.04 GB
Ratio: 8.28

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 395

07.29.05, 05:59 AM

It's 6881-6889. Try going to www.portforward.com this should help
  (#14) Old
Trader

User ID: 203

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 18

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 204.05 GB
DL: 259.84 GB
Ratio: 0.79
Seed Points: 7.00

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 137

07.29.05, 10:34 AM

Thank's. I'll check it out.

Big Bad Bill Is Sweet William Now!

http://billspatches.20m.com/vh/myvhboots.htm
  (#15) Old
Van_Head

User ID:

Rate This Member

Trader Rating:

Click Here To Rate!

08.18.05, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
Hey Lou..... From My Own Experience I Have Found That No Matter How Many Leeches I Have & Super Seed Mode Or Not It Takes 2 1/2 To 3 Days To Upload A DVD To Finally See New Seeds. It Does Not Bother Me Because I Wait Till I Have Nothing Better Going On Before I Upload It! I Like To Devote All My Bandwith To The Upload! So Basically I Take 3 Days Off From Downloading! Its Like Going On Vacation For Me. I Just Hate It When I Start To See The Seeds & They All Run! Here Shortly I Will Have 70 DL Complete & 5 Seeds! Just Wait & See! That Pisses Me Off Because There Are Not Enough Trader Ratings Coming My Way & Not Enough Thank You's & Comments Posted! Another Thing That Pisses Me Off Is If For Some Reason My PC Crashes While I Am Torrenting A Popular Or Highly Requested Show With 50 Leeches I Get Some Guy Posting A Comment Where's The Seed @ & Its His First Post Ever. THANKS..... Thats The Kind Of Guy That Runs Away After Completing His Download. There Are A Lot Of Good People Here @ JTT I & Know Who They Are & I Wish Ther Were A Lot More Like Them!

Thanks,
Onfire
Hey Onfire take a look at my St. Louis '04 dvd show... I feel the same way man... Onfire is right on track... not enough thanks and not enough (if any) ratings... later all...
  (#16) Old
Trader

User ID: 84

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 6

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 429.75 GB
DL: 350.77 GB
Ratio: 1.23

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 35
Thanked Posts: 1

08.19.05, 01:00 PM

This may help explain a little also:

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~hamilton/btclientconfig.html

Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by kma371
I've tried to configure my ports before with some difficultly. Can anyone post a tutorial/link and also specify which ports should be modified?
  (#17) Old
Trader

User ID: 26

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 1

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 41.30 GB
DL: 35.85 GB
Ratio: 1.15

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 0
Thanked Posts: 3

08.22.05, 03:29 PM

I went to www.portforward.com and found tonnes of advice there and finally got Azureus to give me green lights and faster upload and download speeds.

Really annoyed me when I was downloading at a high speed only to see me start seeding and then only go at 3-4k. Felt like I wasn't helping at all !

Now though, I'm getting much faster seed speeds, and that can only be a benefit to everyone.

As I see it, it's just common courtesy to at least put back what you have taken out. Keeps the torrent alive.

Yeah, you can't do much else whilst people are downloading from you whilst you are seeding, but some other seeder has already done that for me in order for me to get the show, so I see it as a small sacrifice to pay in order for someone else to get the show (assuming of course they will then seed the show for a suitable period after download as well).

I got a couple of Iron Maiden shows that are OK quality. However, I don't know if there is a minimum standard they must meet for them to be posted. Would hate for someone to spend 3 days downloading and then tell me that the quality is shite !

I looked in the sky
Where an elephant's eye
Was looking at me
From a bubblegum tree...
  (#18) Old
Trader Supreme

User ID: 975

Rate This Member

Trader Rating: 7

Click Here To Rate!

UL: 261.91 GB
DL: 187.10 GB
Ratio: 1.40
Seed Points: 276.00

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 8

08.23.05, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondola
Would hate for someone to spend 3 days downloading and then tell me that the quality is shite !
That would be extremely poor taste ... you should never critize someone for sharing unless they are sharing what they know is substandard (i.e. they are trading a high generation source when there is a known low gen source available). If the recording is tough because the original is rough then so be it but that is NO basis for bitchin'. As long as what you have is the best known source ... go with it!

Tags
50, leechers, seed