JamToThis  
iTrader

Is your sharing ratio bad? Donate to our server costs and get upload credit!

Go Back   JamToThis > Site Intro > Technology And The Struggle - New User Help

(#1) Old
Trader

User ID: 14816

Trader Rating: 0

Rate This Trader!

UL: 122.45 GB
DL: 116.02 GB
Ratio: 1.06
Seed Points: 1,691.00

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 0
Thanked Posts: 8

Why do I get yellow on JTT only? - 01.24.07, 04:05 PM

Hi! 2 parts to this I'm afraid, but I suspect they're connected & I'd be grateful for any help!

Part 1
Anyone know why I get a constant yellow light on my torrents (I use bittornado) from JTT but not on torrents from any other torrent sites I've used ? (Mainly dime, but also bootcity & trader's den, plus a few others).

I can't find anything that explains why I would have a port forwarding problem just with torrents from JTT - tho I must admit I may have missed/not properly understood something!

I'm not very keen to go messing with my router, not least because I don't want to screw up the web connection as my wife & I use it for work.

Part 2
Tonight it's been different & if it keeps happening I'd have to do something about it or stop using JTT.

I've been D/Ling the Rainbow 80/Whitesnake 84 torrent http://www.jamtothis.com/showthread.php?t=9417 for quite a few days on & off. Up until tonight it's been coming in slowly but (reasonably) steadily. Tonight tho (with the usual yellow light) the D/L (and U/L) rate was much better (over 50 kb/s at times). But then it started losing peers and the D/L rate fell accordingly until it was zero & all the peers had been dropped. (The U/L rate came down much more slowly.)

Now when I restart the torrent it connects to a few peers & most times the D/L goes up to around 15 and U/L to around 40. They stay there for anthing from a few seconds to half an hour (or maybe longer) but then the D/L rate starts to fall & the peers disappear one-by-one.... Don't know if it's significant, but the U/L is always a lot higher than the D/L.

So can someone tell me if it is it a port forwarding thing & if not, what I can do?

Thanks in advance!

love

Moth

Last edited by Moth; 01.24.07 at 04:18 PM.
  (#2) Old
Trader

User ID: 4657

Rate This Trader!

UL: 240.53 GB
DL: 283.09 GB
Ratio: 0.85
Seed Points: 0.00

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Thanked Posts: 1

01.25.07, 03:49 AM

What type of router do you have? Do you have the latest firmware for your router? I use to have the same problem with my Linksys router until I upgraded the firmware. As far as the yellow indicator, that could be alright, I had the same issue with BT but read somewhere that is quite normal with BT, as long as at some time it does go green, but from what you have said, it sounds router oriented, not a problem really to correct.

It ain't Van Halen without DLR

Last edited by jgdrag; 01.25.07 at 03:53 AM.
  (#3) Old
.:Moderator:.

User ID: 88

Trader Rating: 174

Rate This Trader!

UL: 921.19 GB
DL: 422.31 GB
Ratio: 2.18
Seed Points: 8,810.40

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 1,256
Thanked Posts: 35

01.25.07, 04:27 AM

Definately sounds like a firewall issue. This is something that's not related to JTT, but is present for you all the time. The reason you don't see it on other torrents is the number of peers. The higher number of peers there are, the less chance you'll actually see any issues. Torrents with less peers will amplify any problems.

As for the problem of losing peers, I'd start by looking at any software firewalls you might have installed, like ZoneAlarm, Norton, etc...
  (#4) Old
Trader

User ID: 14816

Rate This Trader!

UL: 122.45 GB
DL: 116.02 GB
Ratio: 1.06
Seed Points: 1,691.00

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Thanked Posts: 8

01.25.07, 07:10 AM

Hmmm. Thanks guys....

jgdrag - Cheers! As it happens, it's a linksys router too. And yep, on JTT the light never goes green. Trouble is, the firmware is definitely up-to-date.

Ron - yeah I suspected it would be that sorta stuff - I was sure it wouldn't be JTT itself.

I'm still a bit confused about why it only happens on JTT - but ultimately, that's not really important. As a of matter of interest, I have D/Led a lot of stuff from Dime etc with just one or 2 peers and had a green light, but again I'm sure you're right that it could be underlying problem.

I do run Norton, so I'll have a look at that, though actually it's not been 'dropping' peers so much today....

Do you think I need to check out forwarding ports?

(I'm away for 4 weeks starting Saturday, so probably won't be able to do anything until I get back.)

Thanks again for your help!

love

Moth

Last edited by Moth; 01.25.07 at 07:11 AM.
  (#5) Old
Taping Moderator

User ID: 625

Trader Rating: 49

Rate This Trader!

UL: 49.99 GB
DL: 6.04 GB
Ratio: 8.28
Seed Points: 0.00

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 397
Thanked Posts: 0

01.26.07, 07:21 AM

Also make sure that the annouce port for this site is forwarded.

Tags
jtt, yellow