JamToThis  
iTrader

Is your sharing ratio bad? Donate to our server costs and get upload credit!

Go Back   JamToThis > Traders Discussion > General Trade Discussion

(#1) Old
No VH w/o DLR

User ID: 66

Trader Rating: 111

Rate This Trader!

UL: 174.21 GB
DL: 76.28 GB
Ratio: 2.28
Seed Points: 30.80

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 122
Thanked Posts: 0

Welcome to this Forum! - 10.16.04, 01:25 PM

Guys, after some discussion we've created a VH setlist forum. This will be used to discuss what shows are out there, what was played that night, and what, at minimum, you should have for each show.

I really hope that we can weed out inferior shows. We can start threads about certain shows and ask, "Hey does your copy have a cut in this song" or stuff like that. We can compare track times/disc times and get a nice database of what's out there.

I took it upon myself last week to do a text file for almost every VH show I own. As you know I don't go beyond 1984 but for that era, I went through every disc and either linked it up to a vhboots.com title or made my own text file. So all those shows out there like Cincinnati 8/29/81, Largo 7/29/81, Salt Lake City 10/6/80, Augusta, GA 2/19/84 that aren't on vhboots.com--I have it all mapped out.

You can find the work I've done on my trade site, http://www.geocities.com/loucap81/tradelist.html

Direct VH page: http://www.geocities.com/loucap81/vanhalen.html

If you want a bare bones page with just the files, go to http://www.geocities.com.loucap81

So for shows through 1984, you can check the list, compare your version against mine. If yours is better let me know and I'd love to trade. For shows I don't have, please feel free to submit what you have. you can upload text files right to the site. This way we can all be better informed as to what is out there.

Lou
  (#2) Old
EVH5150

User ID:

Trader Rating:

Rate This Trader!

10.16.04, 03:04 PM

Already gave my opinion, but once again, great work Lou!

It'll be nice to be able to compare flaws with everyone else. Like you said, this should be an excellent way to weed out inferior shows, and get everyone on the same page as far as quality goes.

You're the man brotha Now we need volunteers to help with Sammy era also. Anyone who has shows that aren't listed on VH boots... please compile some notes about them!
  (#3) Old
No VH w/o DLR

Rate This Trader!

Sharing Ratio
Policy

10.16.04, 03:42 PM

I'm wondering what we can do about having some kind of "wall" or .html page that's strictly a file page with the shows and setlists. Kind of like what they have at vhtrading.com except our links will work
  (#4) Old
Trader Supreme

User ID: 1

Trader Rating: 5

Rate This Trader!

UL: 12.97 GB
DL: 8.10 GB
Ratio: 1.60
Seed Points: 0.00

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 1

10.16.04, 04:10 PM

So a listing with direct links, if so where would the links go to?

Board Bitch
  (#5) Old
No VH w/o DLR

Rate This Trader!

Sharing Ratio
Policy

10.16.04, 04:50 PM

Well could we just store the text files on the site? Even 1,000 text files would only be 1 MB of space.
  (#6) Old
Trader Supreme

Rate This Trader!

Sharing Ratio
Policy

10.16.04, 05:35 PM

Okay, I got ya now. I will look into something for this.

Board Bitch
  (#7) Old
EVH5150

User ID:

Trader Rating:

Rate This Trader!

10.19.04, 05:37 AM

Hey Lou,

Do you think it would be a good idea to archive the information from VHBoots? I don't like to strait rip material... but if something happens a year from now, and VHBoots is gone, it might be useful to have that information to refer back to. We can ignore the fact that we even have it unless we need it...

If we tell their webmaster exactly what it is that we're trying to do, and ask for his thoughts, he may even help us out. Think it's worth the trouble??
  (#8) Old
No VH w/o DLR

Rate This Trader!

Sharing Ratio
Policy

10.19.04, 11:29 AM

Well if you want to undertake that task, be my guest

All that would be required there is to simply download the .html pages of every titled show and save them. It's not hard, just tedious.
  (#9) Old
Trader Supreme

Rate This Trader!

Sharing Ratio
Policy

10.19.04, 11:34 AM

We would definitely want to do something in return if they allowed this, that site has always been about giving and their people are great about freely sharing files and information. We could always setup a subforum for them that redirects to their site or something like that.

Board Bitch
  (#10) Old
No VH w/o DLR

Rate This Trader!

Sharing Ratio
Policy

10.19.04, 12:25 PM

It's just one guy who does it, Ron Higgins. ron@vhboots.com

Like I said, if someone simply wants to download all the html pages, put them in a folder and save them that's all that's really needed in case the site goes down, gets pulled, etc.
  (#11) Old
EVH5150

User ID:

Trader Rating:

Rate This Trader!

10.19.04, 03:24 PM

I can take care of it... like you said... not tough, just tedious. I just think it would be a good idea to keep that information....just in case.

I can shoot Ron an E-Mail tomorrow to see what he says. You guys wanna go through with it? I'll be happy to do the stupid grunt work
  (#12) Old
.:Moderator:.

User ID: 88

Trader Rating: 174

Rate This Trader!

UL: 921.19 GB
DL: 422.31 GB
Ratio: 2.18
Seed Points: 8,860.80

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 1,256
Thanked Posts: 35

10.19.04, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
Like I said, if someone simply wants to download all the html pages, put them in a folder and save them that's all that's really needed in case the site goes down, gets pulled, etc.
What gives anyone the idea that the site may go down or get pulled?

I've been doing this for over a decade. The site has been up and running all this time while only having three locations and two URLs over the course of that decade.

It all started as a sub-page of my college account. The site used to take up 1/3rd to 1/2 of all the pageviews the entire college got way back then.

My recollection is that the URL used to be:
http://www.cc.edu/~rhiggins/pics.html

I moved the site from the college host to the web cluster where I worked in the latter part of the 90's. This is when it became "vhboots.com"

On Oct. 16, 2003 I moved the site to a new web hosting provider, but other than some domain name issues for a day or two, no-one really noticed the change.

Over the years I've heard from people that have printed out all of the pages on the site and put them in 3-ring binders for reference and for when they go "shopping".

If you would like all of the information on the site for your personal use, I make it readily available at a link featured at the top of the site:

http://www.vhboots.com/vh_boot_txt.html

Link to the site all you want. I don't want to see the site mirrored anywhere though.

If you don't see something on vhboots.com, it means that no-one has sent me the information. It's that simple. Someone sends me the info, I put it online. I do my best, in fact I added three more 2004 shows this afternoon.
________
LadyM

Last edited by ron; 09.13.11 at 12:45 PM.
  (#13) Old
EVH5150

User ID:

Trader Rating:

Rate This Trader!

10.19.04, 05:02 PM

Not at all Ron... I certainly hope you took no offense to the conversation that was taking place. We have absolute NO doubts what-so-ever about your credentials, nor do we have any doubt concerning the site's life. My idea in bringing up the subject is because of the incredibly fantastic information that is on VHBoots. It is, by far, the number one internet resource for van halen bootleg information. Any other site would have to be compared to it.

I'm just thinking about the inclusiveness (is that a word?) of this site. It's always an idea to rely on resources that you can guarantee will be available. Being that we have no control over VHBoots, I was just concerned that any issue may strip us of the best resource around.

Sorry again, ron, if my suggestion offended you. I swear it was unintentional.
  (#14) Old
Trader Supreme

Rate This Trader!

Sharing Ratio
Policy

10.19.04, 05:13 PM

I offered to add a link to your site as a courtesy since everyone is so helpful there, I stickied a post at guitars101.com for the same reason. To make it clear, I haven't the slightest interest in mirroring your site and never did. This site is strictly for uploading torrents. Also, I have no reason to believe your site would go down or be pulled for any reason, sound like Lou is just looking for a bit of redundancy.

Interesting story about your site and how you got going, Ron. I think you provide a great resource to the VH community!

Board Bitch
  (#15) Old
No VH w/o DLR

Rate This Trader!

Sharing Ratio
Policy

10.19.04, 05:39 PM

Yeah Ron I didn't think it was going down...not my idea anyway
  (#16) Old
.:Moderator:.

User ID: 88

Trader Rating: 174

Rate This Trader!

UL: 921.19 GB
DL: 422.31 GB
Ratio: 2.18
Seed Points: 8,860.80

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 1,256
Thanked Posts: 35

10.19.04, 06:13 PM

This conversation has got me to thinking about the site and it's "history" a bit though.

I cannot think of any time over the course of those 10+ years that I've ever had any contact from anyone that was interested in taking the site down.

Back in the early days the biggest problem was bandwidth. The advent of cheaper CD burners and eBay meant that people would directly link the images on the site to their auctions, etc... Effectively stealing my bandwidth to help sell their "bootleg". I of course put a stop to that.

On the other side of the coin, I've been contacted by many many people over the years that have ties into Van Halen etc... It's a well known fact (or maybe not) that one of the band members is a big bootleg collector. I've been contacted by VH1 looking for info on specific shows, I've been contacted by record labels looking for more info, etc... and the best ones are the people that have shows I don't have listed yet that contact me with the info so I can add them.

I hope that over the years that site has been well respected and used as a resource, which I think it has. The only downer these days is dealing with all the people that contact me wanted to buy shows, etc... Lately I've been directing them to both vhtrading.com and vhtorrents.com
________
Novana Residence Condos

Last edited by ron; 09.13.11 at 12:45 PM.
  (#17) Old
Trader

User ID: 3

Trader Rating: 18

Rate This Trader!

UL: 75.15 GB
DL: 62.87 GB
Ratio: 1.20

Sharing Ratio
Policy

Torrent Thank You's: 38

Send a message via Yahoo to TopJimmy78
10.19.04, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron
This conversation has got me to thinking about the site and it's "history" a bit though.

I cannot think of any time over the course of those 10+ years that I've ever had any contact from anyone that was interested in taking the site down.

Back in the early days the biggest problem was bandwidth. The advent of cheaper CD burners and eBay meant that people would directly link the images on the site to their auctions, etc... Effectively stealing my bandwidth to help sell their "bootleg". I of course put a stop to that.

On the other side of the coin, I've been contacted by many many people over the years that have ties into Van Halen etc... It's a well known fact (or maybe not) that one of the band members is a big bootleg collector. I've been contacted by VH1 looking for info on specific shows, I've been contacted by record labels looking for more info, etc... and the best ones are the people that have shows I don't have listed yet that contact me with the info so I can add them.

I hope that over the years that site has been well respected and used as a resource, which I think it has. The only downer these days is dealing with all the people that contact me wanted to buy shows, etc... Lately I've been directing them to both vhtrading.com and vhtorrents.com

Ron the site has always been a great resource, I use it a lot when I am thinking of trading for a show that has a title, cause most likely if it has a title you can find some info on it at the site!
  (#18) Old
No VH w/o DLR

Rate This Trader!

Sharing Ratio
Policy

10.19.04, 07:02 PM

Yeah Ron you have a great thing going, trust me we all hope that you keep it going strong!

Tags
forum