PDA

View Full Version : dead hard drive

ron
03.23.05, 10:45 AM
I recall someone here having a dead hard drive that they sent out for data recovery.

If that person could contact me, I'd appreciate it. I'm looking for a few tips.

I've got a Seagate 10K RPM 36GB SCSI drive that's "dead". The drive does a "click-click-click" sound at power up until the SCSI BIOS tries to access it. The clicking then stops and the BIOS reports that the drive failed to start.

I've done a little bit of looking at data recovery services, but I'm not seeing anything I like.

The drive it still under warranty, so getting it replaced is easy. Getting the old data off the drive is what I'm interested in though...

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

VHDVDFan
03.23.05, 11:46 AM
I worked in a Server/PC support group for a large corporation about 6 years back. It was very common for SCSI drives to do that.

It appears it cannot find the boot sector or track 0 on the hard drive. If you have NO alternative and no one replies with a data recovery service ... I'm not kidding ... as a last resort turn the drive upside down and firmly make contact with a hard surface (it moves the reader arm). About 25% of the time we were able to get the drive up and running to get most of the data off of it. It will never work as a "bootable" drive, but might work as a secondary drive in the SCSI chain.

Make sure when you reboot the PC and try out the SCSI drive you have a place to copy the data too. Powering up and down decreases the chance the drive will ever be able to read a track.

ron
03.23.05, 12:17 PM
Fortunately for me this drive *was* a secondary drive in my system. I primarily used it for audio and video work. It was never a bootable drive.

It failed several weeks ago and has been unplugged ever since. I've been clearing space on the primary drive (I had about 40GB of torrents) ever since. Today I had ther system open for other things and knowing that I finally had enough free space to attempt a recovery, I tried powering it up.

It's currently unplugged again, awaiting some tips and/or suggestions. Thanks! I may try the first rule of electronics on it at some point (give it a good whack).

ericgtr
03.23.05, 07:05 PM
I may try the first rule of electronics on it at some point (give it a good whack).

I worked as a PC tech for years before getting into the networking side of things and believe it or not this solution has worked from time to time. We used to use a rubber mallet but dropping it onto a semi hard surface from about 8 inches up (such as a hard carpet) has proven useful too. When all other means are exhausted, there's nothing to lose and in either case if you do find a restore service they will pull the disc out anyway.